Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Amazingness of Grace

Part of my journey as a Catholic has been to learn to open my eyes to Jesus in every person in my life.

In the beginning, I was not so 'enlightened'.  I had friends who had issues and yet each one said or did little things to help me in my spiritual journey.  One had the habit of tagging me in every Jesus or Mary picture that popped up on the net, even as he posted barbs about people in his office.  But the beautiful pictures had a way of touching my heart.  Another liked to encourage me to pare my life down, to stop being so materialistic... and yet she also liked to gossip about so-and-so who did this and that.  And yet another would pop into my life and pass me books & CDs, while others would whisper snippets of his scandalous private life.

Believe it or not, I wondered if the 'good' things they did would be tainted by the 'bad' things they indulged in.  I struggled with this for a long time.

Then I kept coming across stories or references to saints, among whom were harlots, tax collectors, even murderers.  How could gossiping be compared with murder?  And yet these people 'bore fruit' in ways that reverberated through the centuries.

Fruit such as the Gospels.  Wasn't St Paul once Saul, the persecuter of Christians?  He must've killed thousands of Christians.  Yet he went on to become St Paul, 'Apostle to the Gentiles'.  He was perhaps the most influential of all the apostles, spreading Christianity throughout varied lands, such as Cyprus, Asia Minor (modern Turkey), mainland Greece, Crete and Rome.  Paul's works contain the first written account of what it means to be a Christian and thus, the Christian spirituality.

And who could forget the song 'Amazing Grace'.  This song has touched so many people's hearts and I dare say that it has also helped to open many many hearts to God.  Yet John Newton spent many years, working as captain of a slaver ship.  He must have destroyed many lives.  But he repented and became a pastor.  And composed many hymns, among which was Amazing Grace.

One could say that these people became good after repenting their 'bad'.  But did they become perfect after that?  I don't think so.  Whatever it may be, I shall not be judge of my brothers and sisters.  And I shall remember that God always chooses the lowest of the low and the weakest of the weak to carry out His work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment