Monday, September 13, 2010

St Joseph Spouse of Mary

Thinking of the people who were important to the Child Jesus, I wondered of His foster father, Joseph.  I was sure that Jesus loved Joseph very much, as any babe would feel about the father who cared for his welfare.  As I read about St Joseph, I marveled at what I found out.  Well, I DID mention the poor state of my knowledge.

St Teresa of Avila said this of St Joseph in her autobiography (chapter 6) :
I do not remember even now that I have ever asked anything of him which he has failed to grant.  I am astonished at the great favors which God has bestowed on me through this blessed saint, and at the perils from which He has freed me, both in body and in soul.  To other saints the Lord seems to have given grace to succor us in some of our necessities but of this glorious saint my experience is that he succors us in them all...
I also downloaded a talk about St Joseph (Saint-Joseph-the-Man-Chosen-by-God) where the speaker mentioned a few things :

--- St Joseph was confirmed in grace

--- St Joseph from the tribe of Judah was chosen by the high priests in an interesting way : all the single men in the tribe were given a wooden branch to keep overnight.  The branches were collected the next day and St Joseph's branch had blossomed and was covered in leaves.

--- When St Joseph died on March 19 (also his Feast Day), he was in Jerusalem for the Feast of Unleavened Bread and buried nearby.  St Jerome noted that his burial place was within the Garden of Gethsemane.  Perhaps Jesus chose to pray there before his capture, in order to encourage us to seek St Joseph out in our last hours.

--- the early fathers of the church also pointed out that St Joseph's tomb (visible in those days) was empty.  So if his tomb is empty, where haven they taken St Joseph?  Doctor of the Church St Francis De Sales answers the question.  "St Joseph is in heaven, body and soul, of that there is no doubt."

Imagine if we were to ask for St Joseph's intercession for spiritual strength...

An Ancient Prayer to Saint Joseph
O St Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in thee all my interests and desires.  O St Joseph, assist me by thy powerful intercession and obtain for me all spiritual blessings through thy foster Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord, so that, having engaged here below thy heavenly power, I may offer thee thy thanksgiving and homage.
O St Joseph, I never weary contemplating thee and Jesus asleep in thine arms.  I dare not approach while He reposes near thy heart.  Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.
St. Joseph, patron of departing souls, pray for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment