Sunday, February 6, 2011

My Experience With The Divine Mercy Chaplet

I'd known about the Divine Mercy Chaplet for a while now... and most especially after Bro. Stanley Villavicencio's visit but I never really put it into practice until recently.

A month ago, an old friend (a member of the local Divine Mercy Apostolate) sent a strange sms.  Without any preliminaries whatsoever, she asked me to please do a 9-day Divine Mercy novena at 3 a.m. and the 3 o'clock prayer & chaplet if possible.  She urged me to get my whole family (also my sister-in-law's family) to do it.  She specified praying for the breaking of ancestral bondage, conversion of family members, spiritual and physical healing of every member of our families.

My reaction was 'Wow.'  It seemed a bit strong.  I looked around me.. things seemed okay at home.  Well, one family member was facing a bit of a hard time at work and in her personal life.

So, at first, I didn't start straightaway.  A day later, I began.  I already had this Virtual Chaplet tool on my notebook so it wasn't a difficult thing to do.  Then when I mentioned this to my relative, she told me that she had issues with God & religion.  I also felt as if she had a spirit of failure hanging onto her life.  Nothing in her life seemed to be working or improving.  So I recommended that she go for confession.  But she didn't look enthusiastic.

By the third day of my novena (this relative didn't know I was doing it), she suddenly mentioned that she wanted to go for confession.  Oh joy!  I was so happy!  So far she hasn't gone yet but at least the thought had come to her. 

Strangely on the ninth day of my novena, I woke up around midnight and couldn't go to sleep.  So I read a book until 3 a.m.  When I realised the time, I remembered how The Lord Jesus promised St Faustina Kowalska regarding the time 3 o'clock :  "In this hour you can obtain everything for yourself and for others for the asking; it was the hour of grace for the whole world – mercy triumphed over justice" (Diary, 1572) 

I thought that there was a reason I couldn't sleep till 3 a.m. for I didn't have the intention to stay awake till then.  And so I finished my novena at 3 a.m. on the ninth day.

By then, I had gotten used to the chaplet.  It is remarkably soothing and comforting to recite.  The Divine Mercy Chaplet audio I had is also very beautiful to listen to.  The very next day, some trouble resurfaced in that relative's life.  So I decided to do another novena.  I am now in the fifth day of that second novena and I am beginning to truly believe that there is a unseen struggle going on in that relative's life.   Yesterday, I made the resolution to take her for confession at 3pm.  But just as she walked in through the gates at 2.50p.m., a headache I'd been nursing spiked so badly I could barely walk.  I took a pill and went to sleep.  By the time I awoke at 6p.m., the time for confession was past.

I will continue saying this chaplet for her sake until she goes for confession.  I truly believe that confession is exorcism of the soul.  May God grant my wish.

Latest Update :
Today is 10 Feb 2011.  I finished the second novena..at EXACTLY 3pm.  And this wasn't by design.  So that makes the second novena that finished at that special hour.  Coincidence?  Well, I stopped believing in coincidences about two years ago.  AND today is also the day I got some insight into the possible source of this relative's problems. 

So I am starting another novena.  I will do this until she is back on her feet.  They say that persistence gets prayers answered :)

I'm getting questions answered too... as I move from novena to novena.


No comments:

Post a Comment