Sunday, October 23, 2011

Reading The Lives of The Saints

In the beginning of my quest to learn more about God and to become closer to Him, I came across a suggestion by someone.  That person suggested that one can read the lives of the saints.  I forgotten who said it but I also came across the same thing in Sr Emmanuel's book where she wrote that the Gospa wishes us to read about the lives of the saints.

Since then I have read countless books and articles on saints such as :

St Bridget of Sweden
St Therese of Lisieux
The Cure of Ars
Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich
St Anne
St Joachim
Blessed Mary of Agreda
St Gertrude

and many more!

What I have found is the great love they all had for God.  The way they lived their lives were done as closely as possible to what they thought God wanted.  And as a result, they put into word and action their love for their fellow men, in whose faces they saw Jesus.

In the beginning, I found it hard to accept some of the things I read, for I am a product of this world... I have read the magazines & books and I have watched thousands of hours of television programs that keep on telling me, in a sort of mantra :

Put yourself first.
Go for success.
Money is king.
Image is important.
Be assertive and don't let others push you around.
Don't let others cheat you.

But all of these things are WRONG for...

How can I put myself first when God wants me to put myself least?
Success in this world is symbolized by bank account total and size of assets...but how can I accumulate all that if I am required to be charitable and to share what I have with those in need??  And there are so many more people in need than there is money in my pocket :(
To have the right image for this world requires a certain amount of vanity and money invested in hair saloons makeup studios boutiques.
The saints accepted all their suffering and even calumny in silence.  They didn't hit back and just offered their suffering up to God. 
The best part yet, all the suffering offered up to God were able to save souls!

But it's been three years now... and I have not stopped reading the lives of the saints.  Amazingly my way of thinking is also changing.  For once in my life, I now understand the bible verses Matthew 5:38-40

I will tell anyone that reading the lives of the saints would be very very beneficial... just read with an open heart and you'd be amazed at the gems you will discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment