Friday, August 6, 2010

How I Respond To Friends Who Believe It Is Wrong To Pray The Rosary

Over the years, I have had one or two friends who try to tell me that it is wrong to pray the Rosary.  But the most persistent crusader :) was a university friend who believed he was trying to save me from a terrible error of judgement.  I viewed his attempts as annoying at first and then later on, I was actually quite grateful because he made me think about why I prayed the Rosary.  Obviously, in the end, I made the decision to continue reciting this prayer, based on a few considerations.

Consideration One : There have been too many witnesses (saints!) with messages from Lord Jesus and Blessed Virgin Mary to recite the Rosary.  Do your own research.  If you doubt, you need to go through the journey of discovery yourself to truly be sure.

Consideration Two : When I study the text of the prayers in the Rosary, Blessed Virgin Mary's role as intercessor is very clear.  Therefore, I feel very comfortable in praying to Her to please intercede for me with Her Son. 

Consideration Three : If I am truly in error, then people who care about me should be praying to God to reveal this error to me, right?  I believe that university mate of mine wore out his knees begging God to please 'save' me.  I also believe that God would have revealed such a gross error to me.  If it were a gross error.

Consideration Four : I have always experienced such incomparable feelings of calm and joy when I recite the Rosary.  Surely sacrilegious prayers would not make me feel that.


To my friends who think it is wrong, I thank you for your love and care.  Please pray to God to guide me :)

4 comments:

  1. The explanation is very simple:
    Why do we pray to others? Why do we ask others to pray for us?
    If it is OK for me to ask others to pray for me, and I pray for them, why is it wrong for me to ask Mother Mary to pray for me?
    Where is mother Mary now? Surely in Heaven! Those in Heaven can pray (intercede) for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the bible it says "at the foot of the cross Jesus said to John behold your mother" ...They say Jesus meant us to welcome/receive Mary as our Mother...because Jesus knew that every Christian will need the guidance and support of a mother esp. during troubled times...and Mama Mary will not leaves until we finish our mission and purpose in life
    as evident on the foot of the Cross...Gbu

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the bible it says..." at the foot of the cross Jesus said to John....behold your mother"..They say Jesus meant us to welcome/receive Mary as our mother...Jesus knew that we will need the guidance, love & support of a mother in our christian life...and Mama Mary would never leave us esp. during our troubled times...as evident at the FOOT OF THE CROSS....GBu

    ReplyDelete