Friday, August 6, 2010

To Know God Is To Love Him More

From previous posts about my journey, I have mentioned that my 'armour' has a big hole in it.  So I have been trying to patch it up by reading more about God, His Word, His messages, His people.....

So far, this is what I have learned.

One, from my own experience as well as others' testimonies, the Word of God (the text in the Bible) carries unbelievable power.  Knowledge of scripture helps to reveal lies and tricks. In the beginning, I thought it would be 'faster' to read other learned people's analysis or interpretation of scripture.  But then I quickly discovered that I had to also read the scripture myself so I could think about the other person's interpretation and decide for myself (with the aid of prayer) whether or not to believe.  An obvious example is the many interpretations of what the book of Revelation says.  It is mind-blowing to find how way out some interpretations are.  Those who do not do due diligence will definitely be misled.

Two, prayer is very very very important.  Years ago, I used to pray and feel nothing.  I'd been praying on automatic for so long that it had become something I did out of duty.  But I knew it wasn't something good.  I wanted to feel a strong passion for God.  It was so frustrating not to. So  I did all sorts of things to get that elusive feeling.  Out of despair one day, I prayed to God to GIVE me the passion.  And unbelievably, it happened.  I didn't attend a special seminar.  No one charismatic and powerful spoke to me.  The passion just came.

Three, I found that I didn't really have to do anything.  God just moved people to cross my path (when I needed them) and arranged books on bookshelves (when I visited bookshops) and even harassed me with incessant feelings (whether it was guilt over a vice, or an urge to visit a friend, or an impulse to email audio prayers to almost complete strangers).  Those who have experienced this will know what I mean by harassment.  In the end, you just DO whatever it was to gain peace from the bombardment of thoughts or urges.

My life has never been as exciting or as meaningful as it is now.  I can't wait to see what happens next!

Praise be to God!

2 comments:

  1. To love God means to love His Truth, His Revelation. Where can we find the Truth? In the teaching, doctrine and dogma of the Catholic Church founded by Jesus. We must diligently study our Catechism. I recommend:

    http://www.fisheaters.com/
    http://www.sspx.org

    The most authentic and accurate English translation Bible:
    http://www.drbo.org/

    About Vatican II
    http://www.catholicapologetics.info/modernproblems/vatican2/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with you.

    I've never read as many books and articles as I've been reading in the past two years. But I feel as if I'm uncovering a gold nugget every time I read something important.

    That SSPX bit is troubling though. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete