Sunday, September 30, 2012

San Giovanni Rotondo... A Very Special Place

When I went on a pilgrimage to holy places in Europe, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I went with an open heart and an open mind.  In the eighteen days, I learned many things.  I kept a notebook chronicling my experiences.. what I could manage to capture on paper.  I also brought a camera...and took so many pictures.  But the thing was... I couldn't take pictures during a mass or prayers.  I couldn't take pictures or make notes during the most poignant moments.  All I could do was absorb the moments, the realisations and the wonders as much as I could and pray that my memory could retain all the details.

One of the most wonderful places that touched me in so many ways was San Giovanni, Rotondo, where Padre Pio spent most of his adult years.  But here I cannot begin to express my experiences there.  It's easy to describe the town... a quaint mix of modern and rustic, of gleaming golden tiles and matt white stone, of dark creaking pews that spoke of millions of hopeful pilgrims, of polished woodwork that told of uncounted hands and fingers touching rubbing.. while their owners held unknown wishes and prayers in their hearts.  Just like any other place of pilgrimage.  

BUT... when I stood in the old church... Santa Maria della Grazie Church (Our Lady of Grace Church), such a feeling came over me.  And I felt like breaking down and crying.  During the mass, I actually did cry.  Why, I cannot say.  Tears just kept sliding down my cheeks.  I just felt so overwhelmed and overcome.  With what, I cannot say.  They say that we are changed by God's grace.  Perhaps that was what happened to me.

All I know is, I understand why people keep coming back to San Giovanni Rotondo, even though Padre Pio died so long ago in September 1968.  In that church, I was in a marvellous place.  A place where I could actually believe that I could reach out and feel God.  A place where if I let myself, I would not want to leave.  

I know why Mary Pyle (Adelia MacAlpin Pyle) came to San Giovanni Rotondo and didn't leave till she died.  If I let myself, I would do the same.

If you want to know what I mean, you need to go there and see for yourself.  Only then will you understand.


The old Santa Maria della Grazie Church is the small one on the left side while the imposing church with the huge facade is the new one which had to be built to cater for the huge numbers of pilgrims.  


This is the old altar where I attended mass celebrated by Rev Fr Charles Chiew.  The pews that can be seen are about all there was there.  The forty eight or so people in my group filled up all the pews.

If I had to choose only two pictures from the entire pilgrimage, one of them would be of the old altar.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I have great love for St. Padre Pio and have not gone to San Giovanni Rotondo (yet). Our Lord has blessed you with a beautiful experience. May that feeling and presence of God continue to fill your life.
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete