Monday, June 21, 2010

Why We Pray To Mary, Queen Of Heaven

I find it somewhat amusing when someone begins trying to convince me that praying to Blessed Mary, Mother of Jesus is wrong.  I understand that person's worry that I would 'lose my way' or 'be damned'.  But frankly speaking, how would praying to Jesus' mother get me lost or damned? By this time in my life, my response to such people will be one of the following :

a) Praying to Blessed Mary gives me a wonderful feeling of peace within, for I know She carries my prayers to Her Beloved Son.  Why should I stop doing something that calms me so much?
or
b) I am a follower of Jesus.  I am praying.  If you want to evangelize, go after the godless and have faith that I am saved.

LOL.  Yes, I used (a) when a beau in university tried his best to 'save' me.  And (b) was very useful with the missionaries who came Bible-carrying and hearts-on-fire knocking on my door. 
 
After going through a religious crisis in my university days, I am pretty much stable in my faith.  Nothing strengthens you quite like a trial by fire.  

I'm no theologian or bible preacher, so I didn't waste any time in 'defending' my practice.  The others will never listen, anyway.  When people believe they are right, it is folly to try to change their minds.

But I'd always been on the lookout for a beautiful explanation and I think I've found one done by Donna Cori Gibson.

No comments:

Post a Comment